I am learning to knit! This is a picture of where I am so far on the scarf I am knitting as I first practice project:
It is mostly fabulous in its sheer volume as far as I am concerned. It is full of strange stitches and stuff. But Tina has claimed it already. Here is what I have learned from knitting so far, other than casting on and a knit stitch.
- Knitting is beautiful. I mean the way it all comes together. I am looking at sweaters in stores differently and how things I own are put together. The way the thread twists and ties around each other to make patterns and a secure piece is incredible.
- I tend to overestimate what I need, and this is included in knitting as well it appears. While waiting for my books (Stitch N Bitch and the Knitters Bible) I have been learning on the internet. There is this really great tutorial (it is really for pre-teens) that I have been learning from. The instructor had her group knitting something that was ten stitches across. TEN STITCHES! Well, that was ridiculously little, so I cast on 36 stitches. So, I am knitting a vestment. A little moderation wouldn’t kill me.
- You really can’t knit and watch TV, play on the computer or write a communication plan…at least not while you are learning. I had to tear out ten rows of stitches because I was over confident.
- Picking yarn for a project is a little bit like picking out a piece for your wardrobe (which has never been a strength). I was fascinated by many of the colors of yarn and really wanted them…but, dude, they do not go with anything in my wardrobe. I need a yarn consultant.
- Knitting is like meditating. I had no idea this would be restful. OK, everyone can stop groaning. I am kinda high strung. I generally don’t like things that have me sitting still for forever. But this feels good.
The women folk around here are all getting a little bit crafty. Tina is sewing. Haley is learning to sew and knit. There is even a bit of embroidery in the air.
P.S. Steve, Janelle…are my hands supposed to be hurting while I am learning to do this?